Martica H. Hall, Ph.D.
Professor Department of Psychiatry
3811 O’Hara Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
- Katherine Duggan, PhD, Jonna Morris, PhD
- Graduate Student: Marissa Bowman
- Accepting Trainees: Yes
- MS, Medical Psychology, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences (Bethesda, MD), 1993
- PhD, Biopsychology, University of Pittsburgh (Pittsburgh, PA), 1995
Dr. Hall’s research program bridges the traditionally independent fields of behavioral medicine and sleep medicine. Her research focuses on the pathways through which psychological and social factors affect sleep and their downstream consequences to health and functioning, with an emphasis on diseases of aging. She has evaluated these relationships in diverse populations across the lifespan, focusing mainly on mid- to adults at increased risk for cardiometabolic disease including caregivers, women during the menopausal transition, individuals with sleep and psychiatric disorders, and adults affected by racial/social disparities. She has given national and international workshops on the assessment of sleep, including self-report indices of sleep duration in studies of sleep health. Dr. Hall has also developed and refined innovative protocols for the assessment of ecologically valid and reliable measures of sleep health including ambulatory polysomnography, wrist actigraphy, and heart rate variability during sleep.
Committed to the future of sleep and circadian science, Dr. Hall is a dedicated mentor. She works with trainees across the educational continuum from undergraduates, to graduate and medical students, postdoctoral fellows, and junior faculty. Dr. Hall directs the training seminar for the “Translational Research Training in Sleep Medicine” training program (T32 HL082610), and serves as training faculty on four other NIH-funded T32 programs. In recognition of her dedication to training, Dr. Hall is the recipient of the Sleep Research Society’s 2019 Mary Carskadon Outstanding Educator Award.
- R01 AG047139 (Role: MPI). Sleep, Circadian Rhythms, and Cardiometabolic Risk in Retired Shift Workers, 2015-2020
- R01 HL126770 (Role: Site PI). Sleep, Stress, and Arterial Stiffness. 2016-2020
- R01 HL136205 (Role: Site PI). Sleep Disturbance as a Mechanism for Ischemic Heart Disease in PTSD. 2017-2021
- R01 AG056331 (Role: Co-I) Sleep Health Profiles and Mortality Risk in Older Adults: A Multi-Cohort Application of Novel Statistical Methods. 2017-2020
- R01 HL142064 (Role: Site PI). Sleep and Circadian Mechanisms Contributing to Disparity in Prevalence of Hypertension Between Black and White Americans. 2018-2022
- R01 GM113243 (Role: Co-I). A Statistical Framework for the Spectral Analysis of High Dimensional Physiological Time Series Signal, 2018-2021. NIH RePORTER Link
- U01 AG012546 (Role: Co-I). Study of Women’s Health Across the Nation, 2014-2019. NIH RePORTER Link
Refereed Publications (* denotes work conducted by mentored trainees):
- Zakowski SG, Hall M. , Baum A. Stress, stress management, and the immune system. Applied and preventive psychology: Current Scientific Perspectives, 1:1-13, 1992.
- Baum A, Cohen L, Hall M. Control and intrusive memories as possible determinants of chronic stress. Psychosomatic Medicine,55:274-86, 1993.
- Patterson SM, Zakowski SG, Hall M, Cohen L, Wollman K, Baum A. Psychological stress and platelet activation: Differences in platelet reactivity in healthy men during active and passive stressors. Health Psychology, 13:34-8, 1994.
- Zakowski SG, Cohen L, Hall M, Wollman K, Baum A. Differential effects of active and passive laboratory stressors on immune function in a group of healthy men. International Journal of Behavioral Medicine, 1:163-84, 1994.
- Hall M, Baum A. Intrusive thoughts as determinants of distress in parents of children with cancer. Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 25:1215-30, 1995.
- McCann UD, Thorne D, Hall M, Avery W, Sing H, Thomas M, Belenky G. The effects of L-dihydroxyphenylalanine on alertness and mood in alpha-methyl-para-tyrosine-treated normal volunteers: Further evidence for the role of catecholamines in arousal and anxiety. Neuropsychopharmacology, 13:41-52, 1995.
- Reynolds CF, Frank E, Perel JM, Mazumdar S, Dew MA, Begley A, Houck PR, Hall M, Mulsant B, Shear MK, Miller MD, Cornes C, Kupfer DJ. High relapse rates after discontinuation of adjunctive mediation in elderly patients with recurrent major depression. American Journal of Psychiatry, 153:1418-22, 1996.
- Dew MA, Reynolds CF, Houck P, Hall M, Buysse DJ, Frank E, Kupfer DJ. Temporal profiles of the course of depression during treatment: Predictors of pathways toward recovery in the elderly. Archives of General Psychiatry, 54:1016-24, 1997.
- Hall M, Buysse DJ, Dew MA, Prigerson HG, Kupfer DJ, Reynolds CF. Intrusive thoughts and avoidance behaviors are associated with sleep disturbances in bereavement-related depression. Depression and Anxiety, 6:106-12, 1997.
- McDermott OD, Prigerson HG, Reynolds CF, Houck PR, Dew MA, Hall M, Mazumdar S, Buysse DJ, Hoch CC, Kupfer DJ. Sleep in the wake of complicated grief: A preliminary report. Biological Psychiatry, 41:710-6, 1997.
- Pasternak RE, Prigerson H, Hall M, Miller MD, Fasiczka A, Mazumdar S, Reynolds CF. The post-treatment illness course of depression in bereaved elders: High relapse/recurrence rates. American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, 5:54-8, 1997.
- Reynolds CF, Buysse DJ, Dew MA, Hoch CC, Hall M, Brunner DP, Begley A, Houck PR, Mazumdar S, Perel JM, Kupfer DJ. Maintenance nortriptyline effects on homeostatic control of sleep in elders with recurrent major depression: Double-blind, placebo- and plasma-level controlled evaluation. Biological Psychiatry, 42:560-7, 1997.
- Buysse DJ, Hall M, Tu XM, Land S, Houck PR, Cherry CR, Kupfer DJ, Frank E. Latent structure of EEG sleep variables in depressed and control subjects: Descriptions and clinical correlates. Psychiatry Research, 79:105-22, 1998.
- Hall M, Baum A, Buysse DJ, Prigerson HG, Kupfer DJ, Reynolds CF. Sleep as a mediator of the stress-immune relationship. Psychosomatic Medicine, 60:48-51, 1998.
- Hall M, Bromberger JT, Matthews KA: Socioeconomic status as a correlate of sleep in African-American and Caucasian women. Socioeconomic Status and Health in Industrial Nations: Social, Psychological, and Biological Pathways. Adler NE, Marmot M, McEwen BS, Stewart J (Eds.), Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, 427-430, 1999.
- Hall M, Buysse DJ, Nowell PD, Nofzinger EA, Houck P, Reynolds CF, Kupfer DJ. Symptoms of stress and depression as correlates of sleep in primary insomnia. Psychosomatic Medicine, 62:227-30, 2000.
- Buysse DJ, Hall M, Begley A, Cherry CR, Houck PR, Land S, Ombao H, Kupfer DJ, Frank E. Sleep and treatment response in depression: New findings using power spectral analysis. Psychiatry Research, 103:51-67, 2001.
- Zakowski SG, Hall M, Klein LC, Baum A. Appraised control, coping and stress in a community sample: A test of the goodness-of-fit hypothesis. Annals of Behavioral Medicine, 23:158-65, 2001.
- Hoch CC, Reynolds CF, Buysse DJ, Monk TH, Nowell PD, Begley A, Hall M, Dew MA. Protecting sleep quality in later life: A pilot study of bed restriction and sleep hygiene. Journal of Gerontology Psychological Sciences, 56:52-9, 2001.
- Reynolds CF, Buysse DJ, Nofzinger EA, Hall M, Dew MA, Monk TH. Age Wise: Aging well by sleeping well. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, 49:491, 2001.
- de Moor C, Sterner J, Hall M, Warneke C, Gilani Z, Amato R, Cohen L. A pilot study of the effects of expressive writing on psychological and behavioral adjustment in patients enrolled in a phase II trial of vaccine therapy for metastatic renal cell carcinoma. Health Psychology, 21: 615-9, 2002.
- Martire L, Hall M. Dementia caregiving: Recent research on negative health effects and the efficacy of caregiver interventions. CNS Spectrums, 7:791-6, 2002.
- Nofzinger EA, Buysse DJ, Miewald JM, Meltzer CC, Price JC, Sembrat RC, Ombao H, Reynolds CF, Monk TH, Hall M, Kupfer DJ, Moore RY. Human regional cerebral glucose metabolism during NREM sleep in relation to waking. Brain, 125:1105-15, 2002.
- Dew MA, Hoch CC, Buysse DJ, Monk T, Begley AE, Houck PR, Hall M, Kupfer DJ, Reynolds CF. Healthy older adults sleep predicts all-cause mortality at 4 to 19 years of follow-up. Psychosomatic Medicine, 65:63-74, 2003.
- *Germain A, Buysse DJ, Ombao H, Kupfer DJ, Hall M. Psychophysiological reactivity and coping styles influence the effects of acute stress exposure on REM sleep. Psychosomatic Medicine, 65:857-64, 2003.
- Redwine L, Dang J, Hall M, Irwin M. Disordered sleep, nocturnal cytokines and immunity in alcoholics. Psychosomatic Medicine, 65:75-85, 2003.
- Myaskovsky L, Dew MA, Switzer GE, Hall M, Kormos RL, Goycoolea MA, DiMartini AF, Manzetti JD, McCurry KR. Avoidant coping with health problems is related to poorer quality of life among lung transplant candidates. Progress in Transplantation, 13:183-92, 2003.
- Hall M, Vasko R, Buysse DJ, Ombao H, Chen Q, Cashmere JD, Kupfer DJ, Thayer JF. Acute stress affects heart rate variability during sleep. Psychosomatic Medicine, 66:56-62, 2004.
- Moul DE, Hall M, Pilkonis PA, Buysse DJ. Self-report measures of insomnia in adults: Rationales, choices, and needs. Sleep Medicine Reviews, 8:177-98, 2004.
- Germain A, Hall M, Krakow B, Shear MK, Buysse DJ. A brief sleep scale for posttraumatic stress disorder: Pittsburgh Sleep Quality Index addendum for PTSD. Journal of Anxiety Disorders, 19:233-44, 2004.
- Levitt H, Wood A, Moul DE, Hall M, Germain A, Kupfer DJ, Buysse DJ. A pilot study of daytime alertness and mood in insomnia patients using ecological momentary assessment. Behavioral Sleep Medicine, 2:113-31, 2004.
- Berger AM, Parker KP, Young-McCaughan S, Mallory GA, Barsevick AM, Beck SL, Carpenter JS, Carter PA, Farr LA, Hinds PS, Lee KA, Miaskowski C, Mock V, Payne JK, Hall M. Sleep/wake disturbances in people with cancer and their caregivers: State of the science. Oncology Nursing Forum, 32:E98-126, 2005.
- Thayer JF, Hall M, Sollers JJ, Fischer JE. Alcohol use, urinary cortisol, and heart rate variability in apparently healthy men: Evidence for impaired inhibitory control of the HPA axis in heavy drinkers. International Journal of Psychophysiology, 59:244-50, 2006.
- Germain A, Hall M, Shear MK, Nofzinger EA, Buysse DJ. Ecological study of sleep disruption in PTSD: A pilot study. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, 1071:438-41, 2006.
- Monk TH, Buysse DJ, Hall M, Nofzinger EA, Thompson W, Mazumdar SA, Reynolds CF. Age-related differences in the lifestyle regularity of seniors experiencing bereavement, care-giving, insomnia and advancement into old-old age. Chronobiology International, 23(4):831-41, 2006.
- Monk TH, Thompson WK, Buysse DJ, Hall M, Nofzinger EA, Reynolds CF. Sleep in healthy seniors: A diary study of the relation between bedtime and the amount sleep obtained. Journal of Sleep Research, 15:256-60, 2006.
- Nofzinger EA, Nissen C, Germain A, Moul D, Hall M, Price JC, Miewald JM, Buysse DJ. Regional cerebral metabolic correlates of WASO during NREM sleep in insomnia. Journal of Clinical Sleep Medicine, 2(3):316–22, 2006.
- Reynolds CF, Buysse DJ, Miller MD, Pollock BG, Hall M, Mazumdar S. Paroxetine treatment of primary insomnia in older adults. American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, 14(9):803-7, 2006.
- Germain A, Hall M, Shear MK, Nofzinger EA, Buysse DJ. Sleep disruption in PTSD: A pilot study with home-based polysomnography. Sleep and Biological Rhythms, 4: 286-89, 2006.
- Germain A, Shear MK, Hall M, Buysse DJ. Effects of a brief behavioral treatment for PTSD-related sleep disturbances: A pilot study. Behavior Research and Therapy, 45: 627-32, 2007.
- Jennings JR, Muldoon M, Hall M, Buysse DJ, Manuck SB. Self-reported sleep quality is associated with the metabolic syndrome. Sleep, 30(2):219-23, 2007.
- Hall M, Thayer JF, Germain A, Moul D, Vasko R, Puhl M, Miewald J, Buysse DJ. Psychological stress is associated with heightened physiological arousal during NREM sleep in primary insomnia. Behavioral Sleep Medicine, 5(3):178-93, 2007.
- *Okun ML, Hall M, Coussons-Read ME. Sleep disturbances increase IL-6 production during pregnancy: Implications for pregnancy complications. Reproductive Sciences, 14(6):560-7, 2007.
- Buysse DJ, Thompson W, Scott J, Franzen PL, Germain A, Hall M, Moul DE, Nofzinger EA, Kupfer DJ. Daytime symptoms in primary insomnia: A prospective analysis using ecological momentary assessment. Sleep Medicine, 8:198-208, 2007. PMCID: PMC1899354
- *Troxel WM, Robles T, Hall M, Buysse DJ. Marital quality and the marital bed: Examining the covariation between relationship quality and sleep. Sleep Medicine Reviews, 11(5):389-404, 2007. PMCID: PMC2644899
- *Troxel WM, Cyranowski JM, Hall M, Frank E, Buysse DJ. Attachment anxiety, relationship context, and sleep in women with recurrent major depression. Psychosomatic Medicine, 69: 692-9, 2007. PMCID: PMC2723846
- *Goldman SE, Stone KL, Ancoli-Israel S, Blackwell MA, Ewing SK, Boudreau R, Cauley JA, Hall M, Matthews KA, Newman AB. Poor sleep is associated with poorer physical performance and greater functional limitations in older women. Sleep, 30(10):1317-24, 2007. PMCID: PMC2266278
- *Ranpuria R, Hall M, Chan CT, Unruh M. Heart rate variability (HRV) in kidney failure: measurement and consequences of reduced HRV. Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation, 23(2):444-9, 2008.
- Hall M, Buysse DJ, Nofzinger EA, Reynolds CF, Monk TH. Financial strain is a significant correlate of sleep continuity disturbances in late-life. Biological Psychology, 77: 217-22, 2008. PMCID: PMC2267650
- Hall M, Muldoon MF, Jennings JR, Buysse DJ, Flory JD, Manuck SB. Self-reported sleep duration is associated with the metabolic syndrome in mid-life adults. Sleep, 31(5):635-43, 2008. PMCID: PMC2398755
- *Mezick EJ, Matthews KA, Hall M, Strollo PJ, Buysse DJ, Kamarck TW, Owens JF, Reis SE. Influence of race and socioeconomic status on sleep: Pittsburgh SleepSCORE project. Psychosomatic Medicine, 70:410-6, 2008. PMCID: PMC2887747
- *Goldman SE, Hall M, Boudreau R, Matthews KA, Cauley JA, Ancoli-Israel S, Stone KL, Rubin SM, Satterfield S, Simonsick EM, Newman AB. Association between nighttime sleep and napping in older adults. Sleep, 31(5):733-40, 2008. PMCID: PMC2398743
- Kravitz HM, Zhao X, Bromberger JT, Gold EB, Hall M, Matthews KA, Sowers, MF. Sleep disturbance during the menopausal transition in a multi-ethnic community sample of women. Sleep, 31(7):979-90, 2008. PMCID: PMC2491500
- Matthews KA, Kamarck TW, Hall M, Strollo PJ, Owens JF, Buysse DJ, Lee L, Reis SE. Blood pressure dipping and sleep disturbance in african american and caucasian men and women. American Journal of Hypertension, 21(7):826-31, 2008. PMCID: PMC2890257
- Sowers MF, Zheng H, Kravitz HM, Matthews KA, Bromberger JT, Gold EB, Owens J, Consens F, Hall M. Sex steroid hormone profiles are related to sleep measures from polysomnography and the Pittsburgh Sleep Quality Index. Sleep, 31(10):1339-49, 2008. PMCID: PMC2572739
- *Goldman SE, Ancoli-Israel S, Boudreau R, Cauley JA, Hall M, Stone KL, Rubin SM, Satterfield S, Simonsick EM, Newman AB. Sleep problems and associated daytime fatigue in community-dwelling older individuals. Journal of Gerontology: Medical Sciences, 63A(10):1069-75, 2008.
- Buysse DJ, Hall M, Strollo PJ, Kamarck TW, Owens J, Lee L, Reis S, Matthews, KA. Relationships between the Pittsburgh Sleep Quality Index (PSQI), Epworth Sleepiness Scale (ESS), and clinical/polysomnographic measures in a community sample. Journal of Clinical Sleep Medicine, 4(6):563-71, 2008. PMCID: PMC2603534
- Buysse DJ, Germain A, Hall M, Moul DE, Nofzinger EA, Begley A, Ehlers C, Thompson W, Kupfer DJ. EEG spectral analysis in primary insomnia: NREM period effects and sex differences. Sleep, 31(12):1673-82, 2008. PMCID: PMC2603490
- Hall M, Matthews K, Kravitz H, Gold E, Buysse DJ, Bromberger J, Owens J, Sowers MF. Race and financial strain are independent correlates of sleep in mid-life women: The SWAN Sleep Study. Sleep, 32(1):73-82, 2009. PMCID: PMC2625326
- *Troxel WM, Buysse DJ, Hall M, and Matthews KA. Marital happiness and sleep disturbances in a multi-ethnic sample of middle-aged women. Behavioral Sleep Medicine, 7:2-29, 2009. PMCID: PMC2654623
- *Okun ML, Hanusa B, Hall M, Wisner K. Sleep complaints in late pregnancy and the recurrence of postpartum depression. Behavioral Sleep Medicine, 7:106-17, 2009. PMCID: PMC2909658
- *Okun ML, Kravitz HM, Sowers MF, Moul DE, Buysse DJ, Hall M. Psychometric evaluation of the insomnia symptom questionnaire: A self-report measure to identify chronic insomnia. Journal of Clinical Sleep Medicine, 5:41-51, 2009. PMCID: PMC2637165
- *Okun ML, Coussons-Read ME, Hall M. Disturbed sleep is associated with increased C-reactive protein in young women. Brain, Behavior, and Immunity, 23:351-4, 2009. PMCID: PMC2909667
- *Okun ML, Roberts JM, Marsland AL, Hall M. How disturbed sleep may be a risk factor for adverse pregnancy outcomes. A Hypothesis. Ob-Gyn Survey, 64:273-80, 2009. PMCID: PMC2880322
- *Mezick EJ, Matthews KA, Hall M, Kamarck TW, Buysse DJ, Owens JF, Reis SE. Intra-individual variability in sleep duration and fragmentation: Associations with stress. Psychoneuroendocrinology, 34:1346-54, 2009. PMCID: 2743778
- *Prather AA, Marsland AL, Hall M, Neumann SA, Muldoon MF, Manuck SB. Normative variation in self-reported sleep quality and sleep debt is associated with stimulated pro-inflammatory cytokine production. Biological Psychology, 82(1):12-7, 2009. PMCID: PMC2727147
- Reynolds CF, Serody L, Okun ML, Hall M, Houck PR, Patrick S, Maurer J, Bensasi S, Mazumdar S, Bell B, Nebes RD, Miller MD, Dew MA, and Nofzinger EA. Protecting sleep, promoting health in later life: A randomized clinical trial. Psychosomatic Medicine, 72(2):178-86, 2010. PMCID: PMC2846078
- Troxel WM, Buysse DJ, Hall M, Kamarck T, Owens JF, Strollo PJ, Reis SE, Matthews KA. Social integration, social contacts, and nocturnal blood pressure in African Americans and Caucasians. Journal of Hypertension, 28: 265-71, 2010. PMCID: PMC2864490
- Vahtera J, Westerlund H, Hall M, Sjˆsten N, Kivim‰ki M, Salo P, Ferrie JE, Jokela M, Pentti J, Singh-Manoux A, Goldberg M, Zins M. Effect of retirement on sleep disturbances: The GAZEL prospective cohort study. Sleep, 31(11):1459-66, 2009. PMCID: PMC2768952
- Nabi H, Hall M, Koskenvuo M, Singh-Manoux A, Oksanen T, Suominen S, Kivim‰ki M, Vahtera J. Psychological and somatic symptoms of anxiety and risk of coronary heart disease: The HeSSup Prospective Cohort Study. Biological Psychiatry, 67:378-85, 2010. PMCID: PMC2963017
- *Okun ML, Krafty RT, Buysse DJ, Monk TH, Reynolds CF, Begley A, Hall M. What constitutes too long of a delay? Determining the cortisol awakening response (CAR) using self-report and PSG-assessed wake time. Psychoneuroendocrinology, 35(3):460-8, 2010. PMCID: PMC2823961
- *Mezick EJ, Matthews KA, Hall M, Kamarck TW, Strollo PJ, Buysse DJ, Owens JF, Reis SE. Low life purpose and high hostility are related to an attenuated decline in nocturnal blood pressure. Health Psychology, 29(2):196-204, 2010. PMCID: PMC2841295
- Troxel WM, Buysse DJ, Matthews KA, Kravitz HM, Bromberger JT, Sowers MF, Hall M. Marital/cohabitation status and history in relation to sleep in midlife women. Sleep, 33(7):862-3, 2010. PMCID: PMC199762
- Owens JF, Buysse DJ, Hall M, Kamarck TW, Lee L, Strollo PJ, Reis SE, Matthews KA. Napping, nighttime sleep, and cardiovascular risk factor in mid-life adults. Journal of Clinical Sleep Medicine, 6(4):330-5, 2010. PMCID: PMC2919622
- Matthews KA, Zheng H, Kravitz HM, Sowers M, Bromberger JT, Buysse DJ, Owens JF, Sanders M, and Hall M: Are inflammatory and coagulation biomarkers related to sleep characteristics in mid-life women? Study of Women’s Health across the Nation sleep study. Sleep, 33(12):1649-1655, 2010. PMCID: PMC2982735
- Nabi H, Shipley MJ, Vahtera J, Hall M, Korkeila J, Marmot MG, Kivimaki M, Singh-Manoux A: Effects of depressive symptoms and coronary heart disease and their interactive associations on mortality in middle-aged adults: the Whitehall II cohort study. Heart, 96(20):1645-1650, 2010. PMCID: PMC3151258
- *Roumelioti ME, Ranpuria R, Hall M, Hotchkiss JR, Chan CT, Unruh ML, Argyropoulos C. Abnormal nocturnal heart rate variability response among chronic kidney disease and dialysis patients during wakefulness and sleep. Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation, 25(11):3733-3741, 2010. PMCID: PMC2980993
- Salo P, Oksanen T, Sivertsen B, Hall M, Pentti J, Virtanen M, Vahtera J, Kivimaki M. Sleep disturbances as a predictor of cause-specific work disability and delayed return to work. Sleep, 33(10):1323-1331, 2010. PMCID: PMC2941418
- Troxel WM, Buysse DJ, Matthews KA, Kip KE, Strollo PJ, Hall M, Drumheller O, Reis SE. Sleep symptoms predict the development of the metabolic syndrome. Sleep, 33(12):1633-1640, 2010. PMCID: PMC2982733
- Troxel WM, Buysse DJ, Monk TH, Begley A, Hall M. Does social support differentially affect sleep in older adults with versus without insomnia? Journal of Psychosomatic Research, 69(5):459-466, 2010. PMCID: PMC2958100
- *Mezick EJ, Hall M, Matthews KA. Are sleep and depression independent or overlapping risk factors for cardiometabolic disease? Sleep Medicine Reviews, 15(1):51-63, 2011. PMCID: PMC2928398
- Okun ML, Reynolds CF, Buysse DJ, Monk TH, Mazumdar S, Begley A, Hall M. Sleep variability, health-related practices and inflammatory markers in a community dwelling sample of older adults. Psychosomatic Medicine, 73(2): 142-50, 2011. PMCID: PMC3106426
- Matthews KA, Strollo PJ, Hall M, Mezick EJ, Kamarck TW, Owens JF, Buysse DJ, Reis SE. Associations of Framingham risk score profile and coronary artery calcification with sleep characteristics in middle-aged men and women: Pittsburgh SleepSCORE study. Sleep, 34(6):711-716, 2011. PMCID: PMC3099492
- Kravitz HM, Avery E, Sowers MF, Bromberger JT, Owens JF, Matthews KA, Hall M, Zheng H, Gold EB, Buysse DJ. Relationships between menopausal and mood symptoms and EEG sleep measures in a multi-ethnic sample of middle-aged women: The SWAN Sleep Study. Sleep, 34(9): 1221-1232, 2011. PMCID: PMC3157664
- Krafty RT, Hall M, Guo W. Functional mixed effects spectral analysis. Biometrika, 98(3): 583-98, 2011.
- Franzen PL, Gianaros PJ, Marsland AL, Hall M, Siegle GJ, Dahl RE, Buysse DJ: Cardiovascular reactivity to acute psychological stress following sleep deprivation. Psychosomatic Medicine, 73:679-682, 2011. PMCID: PMC3614084
- *Beatty DL, Hall M, Kamarck TA, Buysse DJ, Owens FJ, Reis SE, Mezick EJ, Strollo PJ, Matthews KA. Unfair treatment is associated with poor sleep in African American and Caucasian adults: Pittsburgh SleepSCORE Project. Health Psychology, 30(3): 351-9, 2011. PMCID: PMC3131074
- Campbell I, Bromberger J, Buysse D, Hall M, Hardin K, Kravitz HM, Matthews K, Rasor M, Utts J, Gold E. Evaluation of the association of menopausal status with delta and beta EEG activity during sleep. Sleep 34(11):1561-1568, 2011. PMCID: PMC3198211
- Zheng H, Sowers MF, Buysse DJ, Consens F, Kravitz HM, Matthews KA, Owens JF, Gold EB, Hall M. Sources of variability in epidemiological studies of sleep using repeated nights of in-home polysomnography: SWAN Sleep Study. Journal of Clinical Sleep Medicine 8(1): 86-97, 2012. PMCID: PMC3266336
- *Mezick EJ, Hall M, Matthews KA. Sleep duration and ambulatory blood pressure in black and white adolescents. Hypertension 59: 747-52, 2012. PMCID: PMC3314491
- Salo P, Vahtera J, Hall M, Rod NH, Virtanen M, Pentti J, Sjˆsten N, Oksanen T, Kivim‰ki M. Using repeated measures of sleep disturbances to predict future diagnosis-specific work disability: A cohort study. Sleep, 35(4):559-69, 2012. PMCID: PMC3296798
- Hall M, Okun ML, Sowers MF, Matthews KA, Kravitz HM, Hardin K, Buysse DJ, Bromberger JT, Owens JF, Karpov I, Sanders MH. Sleep is associated with the metabolic syndrome in a multi-ethnic cohort of mid-life women: The SWAN Sleep Study. Sleep,35(6):783-79, 2012. PMCID: PMC3353036
- *Prather AA, Hall M, Fury JM, Ross DC, Muldoon MF, Cohen S, Marsland A. Sleep and antibody response to Hepatitis B vaccination. Sleep, 35(8):1063-9, 2012. PMCID: PMC3397812
- *Israel B, Buysse DJ, Krafty RT, Begley A, Miewald J, Hall M. Short-term stability of sleep and heart rate variability in good sleepers and patients with insomnia: For some measures, one night is enough. Sleep, 35(9):1285-91, 2012. PMCID: PMC3413806
- *Kline CE, Sui X, Hall M, Youngstedt SD, Blair SN, Earnest CP, Church TS. Dose-response effects of exercise training on the subjective sleep quality of postmenopausal women: exploratory analyses of a randomised controlled trial. BMJ Open, 2(4), 2012. PMCID: PMC3400065
- Matthews KA, Dahl RE, Owens JF, Lee L, Hall M. Sleep duration and insulin resistance in healthy black and white adolescents. Sleep, 35(10):1353-58, 2012. PMCID: PMC23024433
- Boudebesse C, Leboyer M, Begley A, Wood A, Miewald J, Hall M, Frank E, Kupfer DJ, Germain A. Comparison of five actigraphy scoring methods in bipolar disorder: An objective/subjective spectrum of processing. Behavioral Sleep Medicine, 11:1-8, 2013. PMCID: PMC3869094
- Appelhans BM, Janssen I, Cursio JF, Matthews KA, Hall M, Gold EB, Burns JW, Kravitz HM. Sleep duration and weight changes in midlife women: The SWAN Sleep Study. Obesity, 21(1):77-84, 2013. PMCID: PMC3484178
- Krafty RT, Xiong S, Stoffer DS, Buysse DJ, Hall M. Enveloping spectral surfaces: covariate dependent spectral analysis of categorical time series. Journal of Time Series Analysis, 33(5):797-806, 2012. PMCID: PMC4002131
- *Irish LA, Dougall AL, Delahanty DL, Hall M. The impact of sleep complaints on physical health and immune outcomes in rescue workers: A 1-year prospective study. Psychosomatic Medicine, 75(2):196-201, 2013. PMCID: PMC3902641.
- *Levenson JC, Troxel WM, Begley A, Hall M, Germain A, Monk TH, Buysse DJ. A quantitative approach to distinguishing older adults with insomnia from good sleeper controls. Journal of Clinical Sleep Medicine, 9(2):125-131, 2013. PMCID: PMC3544379
- Insana SP, Hall M, Buysse DJ, Germain A. Validation of the Pittsburgh Sleep Quality Index Addendum for Posttraumatic Stress Disorder (PSQI-A) in U.S. Male Military Veterans. Journal of Traumatic Stress, 26(2):192-200, 2013. PMCID: PMC3746481
- Lewis TT, Troxel WM, Kravitz HM, Bromberger JT, Matthews KA, Hall M. Chronic exposure to everyday discrimination and sleep in a multi-ethnic sample of middle-aged women. Health Psychology, 32(7):810-19, 2013. PMCID: PMC3654016
- *Kline CE, Irish LA, Krafty RT, Sternfeld B, Kravitz HM, Buysse DJ, Bromberger JT, Dugan SA, Hall M. Consistently high sports/exercise activity is associated with better sleep quality, continuity and depth in midlife women: The SWAN Sleep Study. Sleep, 36(9):1279-88, 2013. PMCID: PMC3738036
- Krafty RT, Hall M. Canonical correlation analysis between time series and static outcomes, with application to the spectral analysis of heart rate variability. Annals of Applied Statistics, 7(1):570-87, 2013. PMCID: PMC4025993
- Low CA, Matthews KA, Hall M. Approach coping is associated with lower CRP among adolescents experiencing interpersonal stress. Psychosomatic Medicine, 75(6):449-52, 2013. PMCID: PMC3679199
- Hall M, Middleton K, Thayer JF, Lewis TT, Kline CE, Matthews KA, Kravitz HM, Krafty RT, Buysse DJ. Racial differences in heart rate variability during sleep in women: The Study of Women Across the Nation Sleep Study. Psychosomatic Medicine, 75:783-790, 2013. PMCID: PMC3902648
- Okun ML, Kline CE, Roberts JM, Wettlaufer B, Glover K, Hall M. Prevalence of sleep deficiency in early gestation and its associations with stress and depressive symptoms. Journal of Women’s Health, 22(12):1028-37, 2013. PMCID: PMC3852611
- *Mezick EJ, Matthews KA, Hall M, Richard JJ, Kamarck TW. Sleep duration and cardiovascular responses to stress in undergraduate men. Psychophysiology, 51(1): 88-96, 2014. PMCID: PMC3883723
- Matthews KA, Chang Y, Kravitz HM, Bromberger JT, Owens JF, Buysse DJ, Hall M. Sleep and risk for high blood pressure and hypertension in midlife women: The SWAN sleep study. Sleep Medicine, 15:203-208, 2014. PMCID: PMC3946296
- Krafty RT, Zhao M, Buysse DJ, Thayer JF, Hall M. Nonparametric spectral analysis of heart rate variability through penalized sum of squares. Statistics in Medicine, 33(8):1383-1394, 2014. PMCID: PMC3947457
- Tyagi S, Resnick NM, Perera S, Monk TH, Hall M, Buysse DJ. Behavioral treatment of insomnia: Also effective for nocturia. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, 62(1):54-60, 2014. PMCID: PMC4055528
- Redline S, Sotres-Alvarez D, Loredo J, Hall M, Patel SR, Ramos A, Shah N, Ries A, Arens R, Barnhart J, Youngblood L, Zee P, Daviglus ML. Sleep disordered breathing in Hispanic/Latino individuals of diverse backgrounds. American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, 189(3):335-344, 2014. PMCID: PMC3977733
- Gunn, HE, Troxel WM, Hall M, Germain A, Buysse DJ. Interpersonal distress is associated with sleep and arousal in insomnia and good sleepers. Journal of Psychosomatic Research, 76(3):242-248, 2014. PMCID: PMC4018775
- *Irish LA, Kline CE, Rothenberger SD, Krafty RT, Buysse DJ, Kravitz HM, Bromberger JT, Zheng H, Hall M. A 24 hour approach to the study of health behaviors: Temporal dynamics of waking health behaviors and sleep. Annals of Behavioral Medicine, 47(2):189-197, 2014. PMCID: PMC3956705
- Tyagi S, Resnick NM, Perera S, Monk T, Hall M, Buysse DJ. Behavioral treatment of chronic insomnia in older adults: Does nocturia matter? Sleep, 37(4):681-687, 2014. PMCID: PMC4044748
- Hale L, Troxel WM, Kravitz HM, Hall M, Matthews KA. Acculturation and sleep among a multiethnic sample of women: The Study of Women’s Health Across the Nation (SWAN). Sleep, 37(2):309-317, 2014. PMCID: PMC3900614
- Matthews KA, Hall M, Dahl RE. Sleep duration, fragmentation and sleep quality among black and white adolescents: Should pediatricians be concerned? Pediatrics (in press). PMCID: PMC4006433
- Okun ML, Tolge M, Hall M. Low socioeconomic status negatively impacts sleep in pregnant women. Journal of Obstetric, Gynecologic, and Neonatal Nursing, 43(2):160-167, 2014. PMCID: PMC4084506
- Zheng H, Harlow SD, Kravitz HM, Bromberger J, Buysse DJ, Matthews KA, Gold EB, Owens JF, Hall M. Actigraphy-defined measures of sleep and movement across the menstrual cycle in midlife menstruating women: The SWAN Sleep Study. Menopause (in press).
- Gehrman PR, Hall M, Barilla H, Buysse DJ, Perlis M, Gooneratne NS, and Ross RJ: Stress reactivity in insomnia. Behavioral Sleep Medicine (in press).
- *Kay DB, Buysse DJ, Germain A, Hall M, Monk TH. Subjective-objective discrepancy in sleep among older adults: Associations with insomnia diagnosis and insomnia treatment. Journal of Sleep Research (in press).
- Soreca I, Buttenfield J, Hall M, Kupfer DJ. Screening for obstructive sleep apnea in patients with bipolar I disorder: comparison between subjective and objective measures. Bipolar Disorders (in press).
- Germain A, Richardson R, Stocker R, Mammen O, Hall M, Bramoweth A, Begley A, Rode N, Frank E, Haas G, Buysse DJ. Treatment for insomnia in combat-exposed OEF/OIF/OND military veterans: Preliminary randomized controlled trial. Behaviour Research and Therapy, 61:78-88, 2014. PMCID: In process
- *Kline CE, Irish LA, Owens JF, Bromberger JT, Gold EB, Kravitz HM, Sanders MH, Buysse DJ, Okun ML, Hall M. Sleep hygiene behaviors of midlife women with insomnia or sleep-disordered breathing: The SWAN Sleep Study. Journal of Women’s Health, 23(11):894-903, 2014. PMCID: In process
- Hall M, Cheng Y, Matthews KA. Sleep duration during the school week is associated with C-reactive protein risk groups in healthy adolescents. Sleep Medicine, 16(1):73-8, 2015.
- Hall M, Smagula SF, Boudreau RB, Ayonayon HN, Goldman SE, Harris TB, Naydeck BL, Rubin SM, Samuelsson LB, Satterfield S, Stone KL, Visser M, Newman AB. Association between short sleep duration and mortality is mediated by markers of inflammation in older adults: The Health, Aging and Body Composition Study. Sleep (in press).
- Kravitz HM, Zheng H, Bromberger JT, Buysse DJ, Owens J, Hall M. An actigraphy study of sleep and pain in midlife women: The SWAN sleep study. Menopause (in press).
- Troxel WM, Lee L, Hall M, Matthews KA. Single-parent family structure and sleep problems in black and white adolescents. Sleep Medicine, 15(2):255-261, 2014. PMCID: PMC3933955
- Frank E, Wallace ML, Hall M, Hasler B, Levenson JC, Janney C, Soreca I, Fleming MC, Buttenfield J, Kupfer DJ. An integrated risk reduction intervention can reduce body mass index in individuals being treated for bipolar disorder. Bipolar Disorders (in press).
- *Rothenberger SD, Krafty RT, Taylor BJ, Cribbet MR, Thayer JF, Buysse DJ, Kravitz HM, Buysse ED, Hall M. Time-varying correlations between slow wave sleep and heart rate variability in midlife women: The SWAN Sleep Study. (in press).
- *Irish L, Kline CE, Gunn HE, Buysse DJ, Hall M. The role of sleep hygiene in promoting public health: A review of empirical evidence. Sleep Medicine Reviews (in press).
- Matthews KA, Hall M, Cousins J, Lee L. Getting a good night’s sleep in adolescence: Do strategies for coping with stress matter? Behavioral Sleep Medicine (in press).
- *Wilckens KA, Hall M, Nebes RD, Monk TH, Buysse DJ. Associations between sleep and cognitive performance before and after a behavioral intervention for chronic insomnia in older adults. Behavioral Sleep Medicine (in press).
- Prather AA, Janicki-Deverts D, Hall M, Cohen S. Sleep and susceptibility to the common cold. Sleep (in press).
Complete list of published work: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/myncbi/martica.hall.1/bibliography/43717039/public/?sort=date&direction=ascending